The AFHS/P Division is comprised of two branches namely: The Affairs of the former Heads of State Branch and the Protocol Matters Branch. The AFHS branch is responsible for the following:
- catering for the welfare of former Heads of States/Presidents, Vice Presidents/Chiefs of General Staff and the families of deceased first and second citizens;
- liaising between the former leaders and Government officials;
- processing payment of pension and allowances of the former leaders as well as the up-keep allowances of the families of deceased Heads of State and deceased Vice Presidents;
- processing Annual Medical check-up and vacation abroad for all the former first and second citizens at Government expense;
- facilitating the attendance of Council of State Meetings and other state functions for the former Presidents/Heads of State;
- reservation of hotel accommodation for the former leaders in Abuja when on official assignment;
- provision of transportation facility for the former leaders every four years.
The Protocol Matters branch is tasked with the following functions:-
- processing of requests for official passports by MDAs and Political Office Holders in line with extant guidelines;
- processing of requests for issuance or renewal of Diplomatic Passports to entitled Government Officials and other deserving citizens in line with extant guidelines;
- processing and procurement of visas and other consular services for the Staff of the OSGF and Presidential Aides;
- provision of Protocol Services for Retreat, Conferences/ Seminars, Committees, Commissions and Panels set up by Government;
- reservation of hotel accommodation for Government Guests;
- provision of protocol service to former Heads of State, etc
- Facilitation of the activities of the Nigeria Inter-Religious Council (NIREC).