The Nigerian National Volunteer Service (NNVS) was set up to complement government’s effort on national development through encouraging, harnessing, managing and effectively deploying volunteer activities and services of Nigerians both at home and in Diaspora. Government ‘s initiative in setting up the NNVS is supported by the desire of Nigerians abroad to be involved in national development and the evidence that similar policies have worked successfully in other countries.
The NNVS is also mandated to coordinate volunteering processes as tools to fight poverty in Nigeria, eliminate anti-development factors, break down barriers and prejudices of tribes, religion and political affiliations that hinder national unity, and socio-economic well-being of the people.
Evolving strategies to promote volunteerism for social development and nation building through:-
- Advocacy – creating awareness and raising the profile of volunteerism i.e. organizing sensitization seminars and workshops in all the (6) six geo-political zones.
- Establishment of offices at the state level and desk offices at local government areas.
- Building capacity of NGOs and volunteers to create knowledge in volunteer management.
- Engagement of youth in volunteer programmes in Youth development for National development.
- Working with corporate bodies in Nigeria on developing corporate social responsibility programmes that will encourage employers to support volunteers in volunteering work.
- Developing appropriate policies and legislations to outline the rights and responsibilities of volunteers as well as standards on volunteer recruitment/selection, management and support.
- Coordinate the Diaspora in National Development.
For further information, please visit: